DOTD receives additional federal funds
By: ELIZABETH WEST
Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards has announced that the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development has recently received $60.8 million in addition federal fund for highway projects.
In an October 11, 2017 release from the governor’s office, it states, “The department qualified for the additional federal funds after successfully allocating the full amount of its available federal funding to construction projects for the 2016-17 federal fiscal year.”
In response to receiving the funds, Gov. Edwards said, “It is a great day when we can bring the tax dollars of hardworking Louisianans back to our own state. These funds will allow us to continue many of the road projects and bridges we use every day.”
These funds come from the Federal Highway Administrations effort each year to allocate funds that were not used by other states or national programs.
According to the release, “The Louisiana DOTD will use the newly awarded additional funds on projects where the funds can be obligated by September 30, 2017.”
The release also provided a statement from DOTD Secretary Shawn D. Wilson, who stated, “We can certainly put this nearly $61 million to good use.
“Without a long-term, sustainable revenue source, the state may not be able to apply for redistributed funds in coming years because in 2019 the current revenue will not be sufficient to match annual federal allocations. These funds are essential to maintaining the existing state highway system, which consists of more than $16,000 miles of roadway and nearly 13,000 bridges.”
According to the release, “$6 million” out of the $60.8 million DOTD is receiving “is being allocated for pre-construction work on the I-10 corridor in Baton Rouge, as well as pre-construction on the activities for several other projects throughout the state.”
The governor’s office shared a list of the bridges and roads that will receive some of these funds for replacements, repairs, pavement and overlays. There were no bridges or roads in Evangeline Parish that made the list.
The bulk of these funds will go towards the construction projects listed below.
Bridge replacement and repair:
• The LA 120 bridge replacements near Provencal in Natchitoches Parish.
• Bridge replacements to Tucker, Dyer and Denham Road bridges in East Baton Rouge Parish.
• Bridge replacements to Pea Ridge and John Barber Road bridges in Livingston Parish.
• A bridge replacement for Vernon-Eros and Zoar Road bridges in Jackson Parish.
• The Blanchard Furrh Road/Choctaw Bayou bridge replacement in Caddo Parish.
• The Pleasant Hill Road and Lawrence Creek Road bridge replacement in Washington Parish.
• Bridge replacements to Rozena and Billeaux Road bridges in St. Landry Parish.
• Patching and overlay on LA 16 on Chinquapin Bridge in Livingston Parish.
• Overlay on LA 442 at Pea Ridge Road in Livingston Parish.
• Overlay on LA 75 and LA 141 in Iberville Parish.
• Milling and overlay on LA 3038 (Cornerview) in Ascension Parish.
• Overlay on St. Charles Ave. from Nashville to Louisiana Ave. in Orleans Parish.
• Concrete overlay to Spring Creek Bridge on LA 1061 and LA 440 in Tangipahoa Parish.
• Overlay on US 61 and LA 3155 in Jefferson Parish.
• Overlay on LA 25 near the junction of LA 16 in Washington Parish.
• Patching and overlay to Forty Oaks Farm Road between Arkansas Road and Standard Reed in Ouachita Parish.
• Patching and overlay on LA 26, .08 miles north of Hospital Drive and W. Racca Road in Jefferson Davis Parish.
• Patching, overlay, and curb work on LA 3230 and LA 655 in Lafourche Parish.
Congestion Mitigation and Safety:
• The widening of Swan Lake Road from I-220 to Flat River in Bossier Parish.
• The addition of a right turn lane on LA 28W at John Allison Drive in Rapides Parish.
• I-20 pavement marking replacement in Bienville Parish.
• An extension to the turn lane at the I-220 east bound exit ramp at LA 3 in Bossier Parish.
• Striping and pavement markers on Desiard St. in Ouachita Parish.
• Dunn Road roundabout improvements at LA 1026 in Livingston Parish.
• The leveling of the Magnolia Bridge approaches on LA 64 in East Baton Rouge and Livingston Parishes.
• The construction of turn lanes on the off-ramps on I-10 at LA 182 in Lafayette Parish.
• Pavement marker replacement on I-12 in St. Tammany and Tangipahoa Parishes.
• An extension of the right turn lane on LA 24 at LA 3040 in Terrebonne Parish.