Deville appears at bond reduction hearing
John Deville, owner of the Rendevous Dinner Club that burned to the ground this past summer, surrendered at the Evangeline Parish Sheriff’s Office Monday morning, and had his bond reduced to $75,000.
Deville’s bond had been set at $200,000, and he had been charged with criminal conspiracy, arson with the intent to defraud and obstruction of justice. When he turned himself in, as agreed by his attorney and the Louisiana Fire Marshal’s Office, two new charges had been added: injury by arson and aggravated arson. A fire fighter was injured while fighting the fire, and was treated and released from the hospital.
About two hours after turning himself in, Deville appeared at a bond reduction hearing in 13th Judicial District Judge J. Larry Vidrine’s courtroom in Ville Platte.
During the hearing, Deville’s attorney, Jacob Fusilier, asked that the bond be reduced to $50,000 so that a relative could post property of that value to cover the bond.
Fusilier asked Deville about his family ties in Evangeline Parish. Fusilier also said his client had kept in contact with him and had surrendered as ordered by the fire marshal’s office.
Deville was asked by the assistant district attorney about him going to Houston, Texas, in early October. Deville said he went to Houston to take a job as a movie theater manager. He said he had been there until returning to Ville Platte last weekend to turn himself in.
Fusilier said he discussed with Deville the warrant for his arrest on Wednesday, October 30, and arranged for Deville to return to Ville Platte.
The prosecutor called an official with the state marshal’s office, who said his office was opposed to reducing Deville’s bond. While the prosecutor said Deville might go out of state, Fusilier said his client did not fight extradition in Texas.
The fire marshal officer said Deville stopped cooperating with his office, but Fusilier said his client was advised to invoke his Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate himself.
Before Judge Vidrine reduced the bond to $75,000, the assistant district attorney, Shelly Deville, noted that the other defendant in the case, Eric Johnson, is being held on a $200,000 bond. Fuselier said Johnson will also ask for a reduction in bail.Johnson, who has been in jail since being arrested on August 25, had been charged with criminal conspiracy, arson with intent to defraud and obstruction of justice. Johnson also is charged with injury by arson.
If convicted, Johnson could face more than $50,000 in fines and more than 50 years in prison.
Deville faces $20,000 or more in fines and 10 to 15 years in prison, if convicted.