Evangeline Parish School Board joining multi-parish lawsuit against state

The Evangeline Parish School Board, during its meeting Wednesday, December 11, adopted a resolution to join a multi-parish lawsuit, originating from St. John the Baptist Parish, against the state for what the parish’s believe to be insufficient funding.
The board adopted the resolution at the urging of Special Counsel Robert Hammonds. Superintendent Toni Hamlin said this parish, for the past five years, has not received the 2.75 percent growth factor in the MFP (which is funding provided by the state on a per-student basis). Without this 2.75 percent, this parish, Hamlin said, has missed out on $900,000 annually in the MFP funding. While the parish has managed so far, Hamlin added, increasing costs and regulations from the state are causing serious issues when it comes to funding.
In other business, the board approved Wayne Dardeau for another year serving as the school board’s president and Scott Limoges will continue serving another year as its vice president.
The board also elected members to its executive committee, which is comprised of four school board members. Those nominated were Peggy Forman, Georgianna Wilson, Buck Dupuis, Nancy Hamlin and Arthur Savoy. Forman, Wilson, Dupuis and Savoy were all elected to serve on the board with a majority vote, while Hamlin received only four votes.
The Evangeline Parish School Board will not meet again until Wednesday, January 15, due to the Christmas and New Year holidays. There will only be one meeting of the school board in January.

Section: